CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Beautiful Disaster

Every year when our group of ticket holders gather to split up the season tickets the same games are the last to go: the interleague games (unless they are the Yankees or Red Sox) and the two pre-season games at Chase the end of March that the season tickets holders always get stuck with.

Speaking for my own little group of fans, interleague play is not something we get terribly excited about. I'm fairly certain in cities where natural rivalries exist (New York, Chicago and Los Angeles) or places where state pride is on the line (Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Missouri) there is heightened interest. Major League Baseball schedules interleague play on weekends and during the months of May and June when baseball attendance is alway higher to begin with. In addition, major league clubs lure fans into seats during interleague play with free stuff. Every game during the Detroit series, as well as all three upcoming games against the Royals, have been scheduled as promotional or giveaway nights.

Which brings me to the point I'm finally getting at: I have tickets to the June 14 Royals game. I could have gotten tickets to the Tigers game which was unknowingly followed by a Trace Adkins concert. That would have been bad in this rock music lover's opinion. Such as it is, the Baseball Gods smiled on me because I recently found out that local band Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers will be following up the game. I have been a quasi-Roger Clyne fan since the days his first band, The Refreshments, got their start out of Tempe. Their current style of Southwest Americano tunes sometimes catches my ear, but I have yet to see them perform live.

Here is Roger and the band singing one of my favorite songs, "Beautiful Disaster", which I think describes the D*Backs season so far much better than "The D-Backs Swing".

So who will disappoint me more? The D*Backs or The Peacemakers?


0 comments: