CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'd Rather Be Me Than You

I'll admit to being nervous about this series before it started, but after sweeping the Colorado Rockies' "Championship Weekend" I can say: At this moment, I'd rather be a Diamondbacks fan than a Rockies fan.

I'd rather have our offense. Rather have our defense. Rather have our starting pitching, our bullpen and, yes, even rather have our shortstop. I'd rather have our record, our manager, our ballpark and our weather; and I'd rather have fans who may get a little intense at times but at least know that if you're going to boo then you boo the players who have hurt your chances with their bat instead of those who have hurt your feelings with their words.

And I know we had our nosed rubbed in it all weekend (trophy on Friday, banner on Saturday, rings on Sunday) and that Colorado was thinking we were wishing we were them, but I'd rather have our six year old World Series Championship banner than their brand spanking new 2nd place one because this is a new season when your accomplishments of last year fade with the first pitch and everyone starts asking "But what have you done for me lately?"



Yeah. I'd rather have our history than theirs; but more importantly, I'd rather have our present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely have a point. The problem with Rockies fans are the fact that they aren't really invested in their team. One of my close friends lives in Denver. He used to live in Tempe, but Marriage for some people involves lots of changes (in this case he had to change zip codes). Regardless, he adopted the Rockies as his team because he lives there now and no matter what he tries to be proud of them. He wants them to succeed but won't really invest himself in them. I went to a game with him at Coors field when I was out visiting a few years ago. The fans there really don't care. They are barely even fans and very few of them really know baseball at all let alone pay attention to the action on the field. Just look at their attendence and that adds the exclamation point. Either way, your posting is right on the money. I would never trade their history and present for ours. I will always be proud to be a D-Backs fan.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Josh. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It sure is good to be us right now, huh? Woohoo! I'm gonna enjoy the ride just as long as it lasts.

I thought it was funny (not haha funny) all the trash talking the Colorado fans did during the playoffs last year. Their average attendance was exactly 380 more than ours.

Anyway, I don't know who stole the glass slipper from the Rockies clubhouse, but I hope they never give it back. :-)