CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 11, 2008

The Army We Have

What do you get when you put two teams together who don't know how to win? You get last night's 11 inning 7-5 D*Backs win over the Nats. That win, being hailed as the latest "turn around game" for the Snakes, puts their record at 3-3 since the LAST turn around game (the six run ninth inning comeback against Milwaukee on July 3rd).

Thank you Bob Melvin for letting a pitcher with 104 pitches start the ninth inning. A really big THANK YOU goes to our third baseman who leads the league in errors for making 3 more last night (2 in the ninth).

One of the headlines I saw following the game last night was: "It Wasn't Pretty But It Was A Win". This reminded me of another coach in another sport at another time in Phoenix.

I don't know how many times, after having nearly blown a basketball game with poor execution and less than stellar defense (usually in games they should have won easily), Westphal started a post game press conference with that very same comment. The one exception where I ever saw him exhibit any kind of public determination or feistiness was when he made the "3 in a row" prediction after losing the first 2 games of a best of 5 playoff series at home against the Lakers. The Suns made it to the NBA Finals in 1993 and came within a few seconds of forcing a game 7 against Michael Jordan's Bulls. During the rest of Westphal's tenure, though good, they were disappointing underachievers.

I realize this is what bothers me so much about Bob Melvin. I don't question his competitiveness or desire to win, but if he can't communicate that to the fans how do we know he can transfer it to the team? All in all, the team I see on the field is a mirror reflection of Melvin's laid back attitude. It manifests itself as malaise and ennui. It's infectious. As a fan I feel the same way.

Let's see some feistiness. Let's kick some dirt or pick up a base and throw it in the dugout. As fans, let's toss 25,000 bobble heads on the field in protest on July 19th and show them that we are mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore. It's time to do SOMETHING.

Now, here's a little insult added to injury. Some of us have claimed that the biggest move the Diamondbacks made last winter was one they didn't actually make at all: not re-signing Tony Clark. Some so-called "experts" have dismissed this idea and have chosen to focus upon the empty seats at Chase Field instead of the product that's been put on it. Who can fault the fan who chooses to put a hundred bucks in the gas tank instead of coming to the park to watch a baseball team play with all the excitement of a John McCain campaign speech? Oh, and they need to make more signs.

Myrow's arrival could signal Clark's departure via trade

Another knife through the heart. Trading within the division is difficult. What would Arizona be willing to give up to a division rival, taking for granted the division rival would give up anything to us at all? Nick Pierco mentions former D*Backs first baseman Richie Sexson who was released by the Mariners yesterday. He would be a cheap pick up since the Mariners are on the hook for his $14 million contract. That should tell you how poorly Sexson is hitting this year. Last time I checked, we weren't looking for another .218 hitter. I'd love to see Casey Blake in Sedona Red, but I'm not sure he's someone we can afford.

Someone once said, "As you know, you go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want." Well, this is the one we built, but it's not too late because we haven't lost the war. Yet.

2 comments:

J.M. O'Quinn said...

First, I have to tell you I live near Denver and I'm a (pre-September 2007 bandwagon) Rockies fan.

That being said, I think you've got a well-made blog here and make some good points. Wondering why you may have abandoned MLBlogs? I thought of trying out there when it went free, but never committed.

So far as Bob Melvin is concerned-- here's a question for you-- if you rewrite history and the D-backs win the NLCS last year, Melvin is managing the NL team this past Tuesday, is the outcome any different?

My frank opinion, much as I'd like to be a homer, is that the 2008 NL West is a cavalcade of mediocrity, and may very well become the first division title won by a team finishing at or below .500. Needless to say, there's no way the wild card comes out of the West this year. And whatever team does claim the title (no, I don't think it can be the Rockies) will be cannon fodder for the Cubs in the first round (strange as that sounds).

I think the two teams, outside of starting pitching, have fairly equal young talent. Arizona clearly has a superior rotation, which will bode a brighter immediate future for them than my downtrodden boys in purple.

Anonymous said...

Hi, there, ET. Thanks for stopping by. It's very nice to meet you, and I'm wondering what they're saying about the Rockies up in Denver now.

I think if Melvin had been managing the All Star game the AL would have won in 9 innings. I've just seen too many questionable moves this year - though granted, he would have had a more fundamentally sound team than he normally does.

And, yes, I agree that the West is not that good. The potential is there, but many of the marquee players have either been hurt or had sub-par years so far. And the Dodgers signing Andruw Jones? My God, what were they thinking???

To answer your question about MLBlogs, I left after they changed the templates. I lost a bunch of my stuff because of it and couldn't really figure out how it worked nor did I want to take the time. I had used Blogger before. I feel comfortable with it and it gives me an opportunity to be a lot more creative.

Thanks for the nice comments. Friendly rivalries are always fun. :-) I hope we can chat again.