CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Winsome, Lose Some

Whew! Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks since I've been here. I think we can safely finally but not unconditionally say things are looking up a little for the DBacks as long as we realize we are still balancing on the precipice - could go either way. I've been on too many rollercoaster rides with this team to get warm and fuzzy feelings about things yet. The re-emergence of Chris Young's bat has me feeling better about things than I probably would have without it.

Jon Rauch was a huge addition to the pen. He'll be the closer next year. If the DBacks let go of Valverde last winter I don't see how it's likely they would keep Lyon. I bet there's a good chance Rauch may even end up closing before the year is out. Should Lyon continue to be shaky and the DBacks be embroiled in the thick of a Division race it's nice to know we have Big Jon Rauch (insert rolling eyes here) for backup.

Which looks like it will happen. The Dodgers made a huge move (IMO) by acquiring Casey Blake. Blake seems to be just what the doctor ordered as he arrived in LA hitting .398 with RISP. Doubtful the Dodgers are done yet. The Rockies are showing signs of another 2nd half hot streak, and the Padres seem to be waking from their slumber as well with Jake Peavy pitching a very strong game his last outing. Everyone is looking to get better. Another swoon like the first half and you can count us O-U-T even though the NL West still seems intent on sending a sub .500 team to the playoffs this year.

The Texiera/DBacks rumours keep on trucking. Will they? Won't they? I like Tex, but no way do I trade Connor Jackson for a player who won't be back after the season. However, I'd part with Chad Tracy and Micah Owings in a heartbeat. I'm not sure how much Owings' stock has dropped, but maybe sweeten the pot with a low level prospect. As much as I cringe when I watch Jackson at first base there won't be a place for him next season when Byrnes is back, and we need CoJack's bat. The outfield and first will be too crowded (Tracy, Clark).

Extension talks are on with Dan Haren. This is a good thing, but it will be interesting to see how it impacts the talks with Webb. We need to find a way to sign O-Dawg. I'm hearing he's not willing to take the hometown discount so I'm doubtful it would be done. I've heard thoughts of moving Reynolds to 2nd which leaves a big gaping hole at 3rd. Tracy is not a great third baseman. Of course neither is Mark. Joe Crede will be available or if we leave Reynolds at third then maybe we could go after someone like Mark Ellis at 2nd.

It's been awhile since the DBacks have been buyers at the trade deadline. I think the Texiera trade (or probably any others) won't happen, but it will be fun to talk about the next few days.

0 comments: